Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Original Gossip Girl

It has come to my attention that Cecily Von Ziegesar doesn't get nearly enough credit for creating Gossip Girl.  Case in point: I literally just had to google how to spell her last name.  I would never have to do that for, say, Dan Brown.


How did this literary genius create such a magical world including dynamic and beautiful characters, all the while keeping it super realistic?  What was her inspiration?  No one knows...

Until now.

New theory: MAILER-DAEMON is the original Gossip Girl.  Think about it: 1) he's anonymous, 2) he uses the internet to communicate things to people he doesn't know, 3)you can't reply back to him, 4) he most likely has similar facial features as Kristin Bell...  The list goes on.  How did we not realize this?  IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.





Daemon: 
-noun
To the early Greeks, a god as he appeared in his dealings with humans. In classical times the word came to mean a lesser deity, inferior to the Olympians, but taking a personal interest in individuals. Each human was thought to have a good and evil daemon.

Who knew?  Not me.  I just always thought it was supposed to be demon and the guy made a typo and by the time anyone figured it out it was be too expensive to fix.

ANYWAYYY.  It's been a while since I've put my two cents in about Gossip Girl.  This is mostly because MegaVideo is a little bitch and cwtv.com doesn't work in Scandinavia, go figure.  It's probably because all the Danish and Swedish girls are prettier than Blake Lively, therefore they feel no need to look at her.  Therefore, there's no reason for them to watch the show, because we all know that's the only reason we do.

So I caught up on some, then had to give my computer to the Apple store, so I got the Sparknotes version from Jessica and Jenna on the ones I didn't get to.  So here are some thoughts about the last part of season 2 (the condensed version).

-Vanessa and Nate couldn't be more annoying, maybe even more-so than Dan and Serena used to be.  I'll leave that up to personal discretion.  

-Little J brought nothing to the table for like a month.  When she finally contributed to the show, she was dressed like an emo hooker.

-Rufus proposed to Lily when they were stoned, how is that gonna go in the morning?

-SCOTT-is-SOOO-hot.  I mean duh, he's Lily and Rufus' kid.  It would be genetically impossible for him to be unattractive.  Here's the question: Will he be a regular or follow the fate of other attractive creepy characters (ie: Aaron Rose, Ms. Carr, The Dutchess and her son/ lover) and bounce after 4 episodes?  Nobody knows.

-Everyone is obsessed with what happened with Chuck and Blair. It was cute I guess, but really I'm not that impressed. You can take it up with me later.

-How about next year? Let's see:  wealthy attractive high school students going off to college in a few different locations but primarily the same ones.  Most, in the same state they grew up in/ where their parents still live, and then one at Brown.  DOES THIS RING A BELL?!? I would like to use this as a forum to formally accuse Gossip Girl for plagiarizing THE OC.  Helllooo Josh Schwartz, come in Josh Schwartz, this is earth speaking.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  Next thing you know they're gonna be killing Blake Lively in a car accident and nooo one wants that (which is the one difference between this and The OC because everyone wanted Marissa dead for the sole reason that Mischa Barton was irritating.)
How is Gossip Girl going to follow them? And what the f was that? Don't pretend you're gonna tell us who Gossip Girl is. And don't pretend it's Jonathan, even just for a minute, it's obviously not. That would just be dumb.

Let's talk history for a second. 90210 (obviously the old one because I don't recognize the new one as TV), Saved by the Bell, The OC, they all sucked when they went to college. One Tree Hill is the only one who had it right by skipping four years and flashing back. REVOLUTIONARY! It's too bad their two main characters are walking after this season... *sigh.*

If I were the Gossip Girl writers, I would do a prequel instead like the new Star Trek movie (which was unreal by the way). Hellooo... We're all dying to see Serena in her bad girl days. Give us what we want instead of following the footsteps of those who came before you.

Til next season, you know you love me.
xoxo,
Sloan-ip Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment