Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Curse of the Second Form

It was the end of an era the day I got on the plane en route to Copenhagen.  Not because I was venturing to spend 4 months in a foreign country.  Not because I wouldn't be able to call Linda and Arthur when I felt I was losing my mind (or more realistically my wallet).  Not because I couldn't go to Yogurt Oasis twice a day (although that is becoming a problem).  No, those weren't the reasons.  It was really because I would never have to use my fake ID again.

I've taken on the alter ego "Jody Goodman" since the summer of 2006.  The ID has somehow survived multiple lost wallets, and my general irresponsibility.  It has been so good to me.  But since the drinking age here is like 12, and I turn the big 2-1 in April, I retired my second identity.  No more memorizing her information right before going into a bar, no more using cash so the name on my ID and the name on the credit card wouldn't clash, no more being asked for a second form.

WRONG.  I take that back.  Last night I was second formed.  But this time it wasn't in the usual place.  Not the bar, but the bus.  

So here in the CPH, we have these bus/train passes, and it's so weird because on the train, it's all on the honor system.  Once in a while they check to see if you have it, but most of the time you just get on and get off.  Obviously that would never work in the US, but I guess people here are more honest.  

But on the bus, which I obviously haven't figured out how to use yet, you apparently show it every time you get on.  So last night we're going out and we decide to take the bus.  I show the driver my pass and he SECOND FORMED ME.  WTF.  

So I showed him my license, which is what they photocopied to make the pass in the first place and he didn't think it was me again.  I had more trouble getting on the bus in Denmark with a picture that's actually me than I do getting into bars in Boston with a picture that's actually not me.

Eventually he let me go because people were starting to wonder why the bus wasn't moving and he probably wanted to prevent a riot.  We still had to wait a little longer because Suzanne and co were getting shwarma-ed (new verb for any time one goes out of their way to get a meal while drunk).  

I guess the nice thing about all this is that unfortunately yes, I'm growing up.  But at least for a while, I'm still gonna get carded and once in a while, and I might still get second formed, even if it's just on the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment