Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Sport: Jewish Geography


I can't read my own handwriting,  I can't be quiet for more than two minutes, I still have trouble with the 4 and 8 times table (not 100% my fault, I was sick that week) and I was the only person in Newton South High School's history to get cut from the field hockey team not once, but twice. Okay, so I have my flaws but I'm really really good at one thing: Jewish Geography.  

Going abroad has really made me appreciate all the camps, teen tours (especially Teen Tour '04-peak of my life, hottest and coolest I'll ever be), transferring colleges, and growing up in Newton in general. This is because all of these things work together, and as a group, have created a networking cesspool I have at my finger tips.  I wonder if Linda and Arthur knew what an investment in my future all these things would become... They probably did, or why else would they have bothered?



It's not 100% fair because residing in Statesider ("living on my own, not by myself"/ going to Wisconsin-Madison in general) freshman year gives me an unfair leg up on the competition considering we felt it necessary to do a mock bat-mitzvah for Amy Page because she was the only non-jew on the entire hall. 






 







But you know what?  Sometimes life isn't fair.  And I don't care what anyone says, I really should have put Jew Geo as a skill on my college application because then maybe, just maybe, I would have gotten into Vanderbilt in the first place and could have skipped the middle man.  

Today in class, I learned that Hans Christian Andersen networked his way out of poverty.  So really, who cares how many years I played (or in this case, not played) field hockey? Who cares that in seventh grade Ms. Bogozyck made me use one of the laptops reserved for special needs kids because everything I handed in was illegible?  Who cares that I need a calculator to answer what 4 x 8 is?  Not Hans Christian Andersen.  He wouldn't judge me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment